Wine production expanded greatly when the Romans created their settlements in Portugal. Much of it was consumed locally, but much was sent to Rome, as well. Due to the Muslim occupation in the 12th and 13th centuries, wine production was seriously curtailed. Following that period, production was increased, but it was in the late 1600’s when England signed a trade treaty that production was greatly increased. In the last 10 years, Portugal has fallen from 5th largest producer to 11th largely due to great increases throughout the world, and especially South America. It remains known for its delicate whites, rich, full reds and, of course, Ports.
2014 Fonte do Nico Rosé, Setúbal
List price 12.00; Our price 9.99
The Setúbal Peninsula wine region in Southern Portugal is located 45 minutes South of Lisbon. This rosé is a blend of the grape varieties Castelão (70%), with the rest Aragonês and Touriga Nacional (30%). The loamy sand in this region produces wine grapes for this wine showing aromas of bright berries with floral notes. The cherry and raspberry flavors are focused in this medium bodied wine. It works well with Salmon, light vinegar salads and pastas with light sauces.
2015 Alexandre Relvas São Miguel do Sul Red, Alentejano
List price 14.00; Our price 10.99
The “Land of Cork” designation on the label is a reminder that the Alentejo is where most of Portugal's cork oaks grow. The wine has a warm and ripe feel, with generous fruitiness from the Alicante Bouschet in the blend. Red berry fruits are balanced with acidity and fine soft tannins. It will drink well for several years.
2013 Casa Santos Confidencial Reserva, Estremadura,
List price 14.00; Our price 11.99
This wine received 91 points from Wine Enthusiast: "Six months in a mix of French and Portuguese oak has given this wine a rich, smooth character. Produced from a field blend of more than 40 different varieties, the wine is stylishly structured and ripe with blackberry fruits. It is still young and although it is drinkable now, it will be better from 2017. Editors' Choice."
Also it was awarded 90 points from Wine Spectator: "This is loaded with concentrated dark plum, chocolate and allspice flavors, offering a plush, creamy texture. The lusciously spiced finish lingers with cocoa powder and toasted coconut notes. Drink now through 2020."
2011 Prats & Symington Prazo de Roriz, Douro
List price 17.00; Our price 14.75
Here is a 93-point rated wine from Wine & Spirits Magazine: “Sometimes less is more. This is the least ambitious wine in the Prats & Symington stable and, in 2011, it’s the most beautifully Portuguese. It starts out with spice, a slightly muddled schist scent that clarifies with air. Underneath, the wine is lithe, its flavors muscular and powerful without showing any excess alcohol, its dark and supple fruit drawing juice from the schist tannins. Buy it by the case to drink over the next several years.”
2015 Herdade de São Miguel Colheita Seleccionada, Alentejano
List price 18.00; Our price 14.99
This wine is a deep ruby color with hints of violet. It brings forward aromas of ripe red and black fruits with a touch of spice. It is well balanced, round and rich in taste. The blend is 50% Alicante Bouschet, 30% Touriga Nacional, 10% Syrah and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon.
Warre’s Warrior Port, Porto, 375 ml., Douro
List price 12.00; Our price 9.99
This lovely Port is rated 90 points by Wine Spectator: “A fruity style, with luscious plum, raspberry and cherry flavors that are deep and rich. Asian spice and dark chocolate notes linger on the fresh, minerally finish. Drink now through 2025.” This traditional style has been maintained over the years and it is today a classic full-bodied wine with wonderful richness and balance. Warrior is drawn from Warre’s finest quintas in the Pinhão and Rio Torto valleys that produce Warre’s classic Vintage Ports. It can be served at the end of a meal with chocolate and chocolate desserts, as well as strong cheeses and nuts.
$10.00 per customer
$5.00 will be credited towards purchase of wines being sampled
Home of: www.WineAndSpiritGifts.com
611 S. Palm Canyon Drive, Suite #22, Palm Springs, 92264, 760-327-7701, 800-925-0030