The Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España will be represented here by marketing manager, Lucia Ramos for a tasting event featuring 3 pairs of Rioja reds made from Tempranillo grapes. You may recognize the company name better by the initials, Cune. The acronym is actually CVNE using the Roman “V” for the letter “u” and the labels were printed thusly. However, everyone pronounced it “koo-knee” and so the company tossed in the towel and changed the name on the label. Our selection for Saturday has been highly rated.
2013 Cune Crianza
List price 15.00; Our price 12.95
In the nose, red berries aromas remain over the oaky and balsamic notes from its aging in wood. It shows some elegance in the mouth, yet very lively, with some spice notes and a very balanced acidity. The blend is 85% Tempranillo with the remainder 15% Garnacha Tinta and Mazuelo" 91 Points James Suckling: "A discrete nose of fresh black-cherry and blackberry character. It has full body, excellent balance and lovely freshness. Tannins are medium and soft, following through to a refreshing, red-fruit finish.”
2011 Viña Real Crianza, Rioja
List price 17.00; Our price 14.99
The bouquet shows aromas of ripe blackberries and blackcurrants complemented with subtle hints of oak. The palate shows a structured and round mouth feel with a good integration of fruitiness and oakiness. The aftertaste is marked by very well balanced tannins as well as by persistent spicy, toasty and balsamic aromas.
90 Points The Wine Advocate: "Viña Real has now a separate winery, but it's still the CVNE brand from Rioja Alavesa. The 2011 Viña Real Crianza, is mostly Tempranillo with 10% Garnacha, Mazuelo and Graciano fermented in stainless steel, matured in barrel for a little more than one year before bottling. It has a very ripe nose with hints of raisins, plenty of plums and black cherries, a little decadent and baroque.”
2012 Cune Reserva
List price 30.00; Our price 24.99
93 points and ‘Highly Recommended’, Wine Spectator: "This sleek red offers cherry, licorice, mineral and smoke flavors that mingle harmoniously over light, firm tannins, driven by lively acidity through the savory finish. Discreet, but shows depth and intensity. Drink now through 2025. 600 cases imported. (7/31/16)"
2011 Viña Real Reserva
List price 35.00; Our price 29.99
This wine shows a deep cherry red color. Very elegant to the nose, with outstanding spicy and fine wood notes and a very expressive touch of very mature and stewed fruits. To the palate, it is a full-bodied wine with a solid structure, very complex, refined, with a long aftertaste and very round tannins that allow for ageing.
2010 Cune Gran Reserva
List price 37.00; Our price 32.00
#22 Wine Spectator Top 100 Wines of 2016; Wine Spectator rating of 94 points: “This generous red shows a traditional character, with leafy, dried herb, tea and spice notes framing dried cherry, licorice and leather flavors. Firm tannins and balsamic acidity impart structure, showing plenty of depth, with a juicy, spicy finish. Drink now through 2025” Also, 92 points from Wine Enthusiast: “complex wine very attractive on the palate”.
2010 Viña Real Gran Reserva
List price 44.00; Our price 39.50
The Wine Advocate’s 93-point rating: "This wine has all the classical aromas of an old time Rioja, cherries, vanilla, some coconut, dill and leather. The palate is medium-bodied and very balanced with great acidity and fine tannins that make it easy to drink. It has good freshness, and with time in the glass it develops beautiful aromas of orange peel that transmit very good freshness.”
$10.00 per customer
$5.00 will be credited towards purchase of wines being tasted at event
Home of: www.WineAndSpiritGifts.com
611 S. Palm Canyon Drive, Suite #22, Palm Springs, 92264, 760-327-7701, 800-925-0030